Youth unemployment is one of today’s big global challenges. The World Bank estimates we need 600 million new jobs in the next 10 years just to keep global employment rates constant and according to the International Labour Organization, 73.3 million of the world’s unemployed are young people (about 36%). Add ‘under-employed’ youth to this and the number triples; over 169 million young people earn less than US$2 per day. The problem is even greater in rural communities where increasing migration to urban areas around the world means a higher concentration of rural poverty. Another study by the African Centre for Economic Transformation claims that almost half of the 10 million graduates churned out of the over 668 universities in Africa yearly do not get jobs.
At Aim Higher Africa we believe in putting the power back in the hands of our youths. Through our unique approach of entrepreneurship development, design thinking and information technology; we are able to empower millennials to look for opportunities within their communities that will lead to their economic transformation and create a new league of African Youngpreneurs.
Aim Higher Africa is a specialist education non-profit founded by Peace Hyde, The Head of Digital Media and Partnerships and West Africa Correspondent for Forbes Africa. We are funded by a group of private investors and leading companies in Africa who are committed to creating opportunities for Africa’s unemployed youths.
Starting from providing education for one street child in the local market of Accra, Ghana, the organization has empowered over 500 small-scale businesses to start, which in turn has created over 2000 jobs within the last 5 years.
To educate, empower and inspire young entrepreneurs (Youngpreneurs) to achieve their fullest potential through design thinking and experience- based entrepreneurship programs to:
- Help them to achieve a better economic future by harnessing their passion.
- Help them to transform their ideas into tangible business using a design thinking approach to create innovation and social value for a better world.
- Develop a leadership character based on integrity, principles and values.
- Foster an entrepreneurial mind-set in young people.
- To be a leader in the fight to end youth unemployment in Africa by establishing innovative entrepreneurship programs for unemployed youths in Africa to help them build scalable and sustainable businesses that help impoverished communities bridge the gap between poverty and prosperity through skills training.
- To partner with like-minded organizations to effectively deliver entrepreneurship education to young people across Africa.
- To Provide a focused introduction to entrepreneurship, combining our dynamic and proven Mindset Reorientation and Design Thinking curriculum with the experiences of mentors.
Our Core Values
- Impact driven
- Strategic Partnership.
The Aim Higher Africa Skills Acquisition Centre
The Aim Higher Africa Skills Training Academy is an immersive learning environment designed to empower our youngpreneurs with the skills they need to transform their lives. We provide training on design thinking to help our grassroots entrepreneurs to identify customer needs and create products that meet a real need in the lives of people in the society.